Thursday, February 11, 2010

SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, I know that most of the northeast is covered in a big white fluffy and slippery blanket of snow. Many people are probably blogging about how they shoveled all night to get out, and about how they are very sore from shoveling...

And then there is me...I was stuck at work until today. I got to work, and clocked in at 7:02am on Wednesday morning. My little-engine-that-could car drove into work. The weather looked horrendous when I was there, and I was nervous about driving home. The National Guard was sending people away. It was a sight to be seen. So, Susan(a nurse I work with), and I took over a room on the unit. I slept in my work clothes that day, and got a change of clothes from the OR locker room. I ended up sleeping on a hospital bed, and she slept on a cot. It was very interesting to be sleeping at work. It was a sight to be seen.

In the morning, at around 5:20, I took a shower there, and the showers are for kids, so that made it interesting. I don't think I got all the shampoo out of my hair. It was good though. I really got to see people doing "Whatever It Takes" to make sure the kids get taken care of.

I mean, there were people that slept there that had not left since Monday night because they were on snow crew. Guys that came in Tuesday, and still have not left. Even a couple of the people from Nursing Administration came over to thank us for coming in and staying. Of course, all that I got was a meal ticket...but every little bit counts.

Anyway, have you ever had cabin fever when you haven't left the house for a couple days, and just have to go somewhere? I felt like that this morning. This morning as I took a shower in that patient room, using hospital toiletries, and towels that were on the linen cart to wash up. I also needed to leave. Today at work, as I was exhausted from a very bad night of sleep(I do not sleep in strange places well), I just had to leave. I walked up front and had to get out. I did my job to the best of my tired ability, and once 3pm came around, I left!

It was one of the best times I remember of walking out of work. Nothing happened, except for pulling out of the parking garage. I drove around, and went home. I discovered the roads are horribly plowed, but it could be much, much worse. I pulled up to the house, and there were only huge snow piles...no parking spaces. I looped around, and then pulled into the driveway.

I was finally.....home.

No comments:

Post a Comment