Saturday, May 9, 2020

Racism doesn't make sense!

My brain hurts from reading so much about systemic racism.

Racism doesn't even make sense to me at all. White Supremacy doesn't even make sense. What defines a "master race"? What makes anyone better than the other. I just don't get it.

Ahmaud Arbery is yet another example of senseless violence that did not gain justice until the video was seen by the world. Georgia does not have hate crime laws. Obviously, the two men that were arrested fall into the White Supremacist group. This should not happen. I love all the hashtags all over that really are giving him justice.

When I was little, I lived in a neighborhood where we were the minority. We were the only white family on the street, but that did not change a thing. We were accepted and loved by everyone! The guy that was the guardian of Grover street was named Frank. I was afraid of him my whole life and I never knew why. When I was older, I finally gave him a chance and he became one of my favorite people on the block. Yes, Frank dealt drugs to provide for his family, not that I am condoning that. He was providing for his family.

I was surrounded by many cultures on that street. So much so that when I moved to Delaware, it almost felt weird to be in a mostly white neighborhood. Why do people need to segregate? Why can't all people live together in one big neighborhood?

I understand the term "ghetto." This word refers to a group of people that choose to live in the same place. It gets used out of context so much. There are Jewish ghettos, there are Spanish ghettos. Any nationality can have one. Calling someone ghetto doesn't make sense.

Can we just accept people for who they are? I almost want to rip my skin off to show the world that underneath the skin, we are all the same organs, muscles, cells, and blood. What makes anyone different?

CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN IT TO ME?????

No, you cannot explain it to me, because it just will not make sense. My other neighbors Bee and George, God rest their souls, were two of the kindest people I have ever met. They would let us play in their backyard at any time. George would sit on the back porch with his cigar and a sweet tea. Bee would sit on the front stoop with her coffee and cigarette. They were just cool people. Everyone on the block...they were just cool people. In fact, when I moved to Delaware, I was thankful to find my current church that put me in touch with Freedom Outreach.

Freedom Outreach changed my life. I live my life as a better person and try to soak up every minute and live for God. God is who makes us who we are.

White Privilege is terrible. Why does it exist? Yes, I am white, but that does not define me as a person. Yesterday, I brewed kombucha and listened to Old School Rap.

Today, I did schoolwork and listened to worship. Your taste in music doesn't define you, your skin does not define you. You define you. Don't fit into any stereotype.

You Be You.

No comments:

Post a Comment